School writing

Jimmy the brave cop

The main character in the story “After 20 years” by O’Henry is Jimmy Wells. He goes to visit his friend Bob after 20 years, when Jimmy sees Bob he realizes that he is the most wanted man in Chicago. Jimmy has to make the hard decision of doing the right thing and arresting him, but he doesn’t want to do it himself. He gets an undercover cop to do it for him.  Jimmy reveals his true character by doing this and that he is trustworthy, brave and a smart person by being honest and doing the right thing. 

In the story Jimmy reveals his true character and  that he is a trustworthy person by not meeting up with Bob and arresting him. In the text it states “Someone I couldn’t do it myself, so I went around and got a plain clothes man to do the job” ( O’Henry 32).This quote shows that Jimmy is a trustworthy person because he doesn’t want to arrest Bob but finds another way to, so the police office can always trust him and know that he will do the right thing and make the right decisions even if it is tough. 

In the story Jimmy reveals his true character and that he is also very smart when he pretends not to know Bob. In the text it states “It sounds pretty interesting.” Said the policeman.” “Rather a long time between, meets though, it seems to me. Haven’t you heard from your friend since you left” (O’Henry 8).This quote shows that Jimmy is smart, because he doesn’t want to arrest Bob himself, so he pretends that he doesn’t know Bob so he doesn’t have to arrest him himself because him and Bob are friends and he doesn’t know how Bob will reacted  and can get another cop to do it for him. 

In the story Jimmy reveals his true character and that he’s also a very brave person by giving Bob a note that said it was his idea to arrest him. In the story it states”Bob: I was at the appointed place on time. When you struck the match to light your cigar I saw it was the face of the man wanted in Chicago” (O’Henry 32). This quote shows that Jimmy is a brave character because the quote was in a note he gave to the undercover cop to give to Bob that said it was his idea to arrest him and this shows that he is brave because you don’t know how Bob will reacted like if he’ll be mad or upset. 

Through being a brave,smart and trustworthy person Jimmy reveals his true character by being honest and doing the right thing. In the short story “After 20 years” Jimmy makes a big decision of doing the right thing and arresting his best friend. From this we learn that he is trustworthy, brave and smart person. Everyone can relate to this situation of wanting to do the right thing but not wanting to disappoint someone your close too. Another reason why people can relate to Jimmy’s situation is because he is loyal to his responsibilities and people today have to be loyal to theirs. Overall Jimmy is a good person who does the right thing.